Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Tale of Three Mailboxes

When we moved in to our house, the mailbox on the front was black and quite the sight for sore eyes.  There must have been some decoration on the front that had long ago fallen off.  We weren't really sure if we could work with this mailbox and those three obnoxious little holes in the front.  That being said, all of the mailboxes we looked at were so expensive!  So last summer we painted it silver hoping that we could learn to love it.  No such luck.  Over the past year, the paint has slowly come off and the poor thing was looking very shabby!  Also, the paint we chose had a sparkly side to it, which was not working for us.


You can see where the silver paint had started to come off, which we knew would happen eventually.


A couple of weeks ago Oliver and I were out buying wallpaper for my corner cabinets and drove past a rummage sale in a nicer area of town.  We decided to stop in and see what they had.  We looked around a bit and were almost ready to leave when I saw a stainless steel mailbox, which was exactly what we were looking for!  I snatched that baby up for three dollars and drove home a happy girl.  Jason took the old mailbox off for me.  I almost wish we didn't have to put a mailbox on that pretty stone!


While I was cleaning it off, I noticed a sticker on the bottom of the mailbox.  Apparently this mailbox was from Restoration Hardware.  The price on it said it originally cost $69.00.  The name of it is the Pewter Horizontal Mailbox and they actually still sell it (or a close version of it) and it costs a little more now.  Seriously though, I can't imagine spending that much money on a mailbox!


I really like it.


Do you want to know what I like most about it?


This little beauty only cost me three dollars.  Not sixty-nine.  Yippee!

Have a great day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment