Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pony Boy- A Rocking Horse Makeover

One of my dearest memories from when I was little was of my Grandma Esther singing.  She would get herself good and comfortable in a rocking chair, pull me onto her lap, and sing song after song.  Now, I find myself singing those same sweet songs to my little boys.  One of their favorites is the song "Pony Boy."  If you've never heard the song, you can listen to it here.  As good as the song is, it is even better if you're bouncing a sweet child on your knees or rocking them in a rocking chair.

The reason I bring this up today is this:

Oliver found his own Pony Boy the other day.  It was Henry's first day of school and we were feeling a little lonesome.  After a quick stop at Target to shop away our blues, we popped into Goodwill to search for treasures and perhaps a gumball or two.  We wandered into the furniture section and found this little rocking horse.  In true little boy fashion, Oliver rushed over and climbed right on.  He seemed so delighted as he sang the song while rocking away  in the middle of Goodwill.  I was sold.  "We can work on this Pony Boy together!" I thought.  "Surely it will make these lonesome first days of school go a bit faster!"  We brought that Pony Boy home and set to work.


We washed him, filled in some cracks and nail holes, and sanded him.  We removed his mane, tail, and his one eye.  Then came the fun part.  If you've never painted with a three year old, I can assure you it is an adventure.  This rocking horse is not my finest paint job although I don't mind one bit.  The streaks and drips will stay because Ollie and I had so much fun singing and painting together.


As you can see, he took his job quite seriously.  When that tongue comes out, you know he means business.




Here is Ollie's finished Pony Boy.  I think its love.  We aren't sure yet if we'll replace his mane and tail and give him some eyes or not.  Even though he now resembles a lamb more than a horse, we still like him.











I hope you and Pony Boy have many wonderful adventures together, Oliver!  I love you!

I'm linking up to:

2 comments:

  1. What a great Goodwill find. Love that place.
    I am sure Oliver will many adventures with his pony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lizette...it turned out just so tender...and your boy is getting so big and even more handsome...thank you so much for taking the time to share this...I'm already your fan...xo

    ReplyDelete